Blitz 143 in Burwood
A cold windy wintery day was not enough to dampen the spirits of the crowd of volunteers that turned up for this blitz in Burwood!
Pre blitz, the design team assembled the first 6 planter boxes, to help the day get started – as people arrived they got stuck into forming fruit tree planter boxes, digging trenches to manage water on site, and moving the mountain of soil and compost in the driveway!
Good progress was made by the 23 permablitzers, and most of the boxes and layered vegetable beds had been done by lunch – the rain told us it was time to eat!
Fantastic food was provided by host So-An, an amazing spread of home made delights that replenished the troops energy for the afternoon. Normally there would be a photo of the spread here, but sometimes a reporter just has to assess their priorities…
Fruit tree orchard and seedlings were planted, and the area mulched – the job was done just in time for the downpour of rain that ended the day.
Well done everyone on an efficient and well timed blitz.
- Forming wooden fruit tree planter boxes
- Levelling out planter boxes into the slope gradient
- Filling boxes with soil and compost
- Layering vegie beds with of wet newspaper, soil, mushroom compost, manures, lucerne
- Digging out trenches into the slope to manage water on site – both dispersing and run off of excess
- Planting fruit trees
- Pruning gall wasp from lemon tree
- Assembling compost bins
- Planting seedlings
- Mulching paths and trenches