Get arty with moss!
When designing edible landscapes for people, we’re always looking for interesting things to captivate people’s imagination while bringing them back to nature. And creating your own personalised mural definitely makes a statement!
Moss is great for giving things such as new statues or walls, an aged, shabby chic feel. Moss can make things feel as if they are part of the garden and have been there forever. And when you also consider the wall art options before you the possibilities are endless.
What you need:
- Moss (You’ll need approx. 5in x 5in sample of moss dead or alive from your garden or purchased from a nursery.)
- A blender
- 2cups of water
- Two cups of buttermilk
- A paint brush
- Pour the water and buttermilk into the blender
- Add the moss (make sure you shake out the soil first!)
- Blend until you have a thick milkshake like consistency and the moss has separated. Be sure it’s not too runny!
- Paint or pour the mixture on where ever you want the moss to grow. You can even write things on walls, the possibilities are endless.
- Keep the moss moist for the first couple of weeks; using a mister is great for this.
- Moss usually grows quicker in shady areas.
- Within about 3 weeks you should start to see some growth.
- If you are going to paint shapes or letters you might want to use a template.