Urban Forest Gardening Masterclass
Date(s) - March 25, 2017 - March 26, 2017
Time - 9:30 am - 4:30 pm
This is a third-party event not organised by Permablitz. We've added it because we reckon it looks pretty good!
Learn the art of perennial edible gardening through practice. This course offers experience in low-input, low-effort edible gardening in inner Melbourne. Learn from the successes and failures of a long-running experiment with one of it’s designer/tinkerers – and seasoned forester and perennial gardener, Rafael Schouten.
Ther is a limit of 10 places to keep things practical and focussed.
The cost of the two-day course is $180, or $100 for just one of the days. Some gardening or horticulture experience is desirable.
Email: [email protected] to book.
Day 1: Plants
– Summer/Autumn pruning of fruit trees. Learn pruning techniques, tree growth habits.
– Learn to graft eggplant trees.
– Practise flexible ongoing design: Prune, replant and reorganise for changing conditions.
– Learn to prepare nopal (prickly pear pads) for lunch.
Day 2: Infrastructure (and plants too, of course…)
– Real, low tech “vertical gardening”. Learn about growth and trellacing for an amazing collection of edible vines – grapes, kiwis, hops, yams, groundnuts and chokos. and ad-hoc espalier.
– Learn basic water harvesting and its pitfalls from multiple permanent systems on the site – washing machine greywater with HDPE piping, gravity fed shower greywater with PVC, and rainwater diversion.
– Learn to prepair perennial vegetables such as stem taro and choco vine for lunch.