An unusual one plus one blitz plus return out in Warrandyte, after the designers (VEG) and many of the participants expressed a desire at the end of the first day to come back for more! That's just precisely how much fun permablitzes are...
Around 30 people attended part one on May 26. The day was cool but dry and the workers were soon removing their jumpers as they warmed up. Dan and Simon from VEG provided instruction on wicking beds, chook house and strawyard, chook free run fencing and perennial bed as people went to work on the project they were interested in.
Thornbury: A boutique blitz in the Northern suburbs, was an absolute cracker. The host, Sheryl, had quite a bit to say about it all...
As the blitz approached, 25 people had booked in after starting with a limit of 8; it got away from me a bit! Come Sunday though I was able to offer those on the waiting list a spot and most came. Tom Danby offered to help at 7.15am so I asked him to be a facilitator as it was Elias' first blitz!
The morning frost melted as the sun poured over the West Brunswick Food Forest, resulting in a spectacularly sunny winter's day. Volunteers from both the Permablitz network and friends of the Food Forest joined forces in what was a productive and fun day.
The last blitz of Summer heralded the first chill of Autumn – and occasional breaks due to showers! This day down in the South-Eastern suburbs saw a grassy, run-down and neglected alley...
...transformed in to a beautiful and productive garden, with a sunken wicking bed, sinuous pathways and edible plants galore!
Let it be said that there isn't a garden too small to be permablitzed. A small group of helpers descended on Matt and Emma's small garden in North Fitzroy, which had been blitzed just over a year ago and needed a few small tweaks.
This is what Kat, a member of the original design team and revisit blitz facilitator had to say:
Revisiting blitzes to evaluate our designs is an important stage in the learning process for hosts, designers and participants. Matt and Em have had a bumper harvest since our blitz a year ago but there's always adjustments to be made. Their major issue was with the sandy, water repellant soil - an unfortunate result of not-very-crash-hot soil mix delivered for their raised beds. After some careful research we used bentonite clay to improve the water and nutrient-holding capacity of their soil, which should mean an even better harvest with far less watering next Summer.
Free template 'Colorfall' by [ Anch ] Gorsk.net Studio. Please, don't remove this hidden copyleft!